Many students are unaware of the broad range of career opportunities offered in health & social care. Jobs That Care helps them to discover that health and social care offer an attractive career path and so increase the chances that they will seek employment here.
Jobs That Care is an innovative combination of live dramatic performance, a board game and complementary digital resources that guide students through a journey that enables them to explore the full range of career opportunities offered by health & social care. It helps them identify a job in health & social care that suits them and to learn more about the requirements and responsibilities.
The main aims of the programme are to inform and inspire students to:
- Recognise that health & social care is more diverse than they knew
- Appreciate the variety of roles, not just for highly qualified specialists
- Realise a job in health & social care offers training and career progression
- Understand that a career within health & social care is fulfilling and rewarding
- Discover that working in health & social care is exciting and sociable
- Take positive action to discover more and explore the resources available
While the ultimate goal for Jobs That Care is to attract more young people into a health and social, the programme is not purely a careers tool. By engaging with Jobs That Care students will also learn about the size and structure of the NHS and social care and how the systems work day-to-day.
Jobs That Care is a blended active learning experience that encourages students to use higher thinking skills while making the learning process fun and stress-free which may improve knowledge retention (Akl et al 2013). Jobs That Care encourages students to discuss and explore health and social care, allowing them to acquire new knowledge, share experiences and learn from each other.